Vaikunth By Adamo, Nathdwara
Location TO VISIT IN Nathdwara
A quaint town situated in the heart of Aravallis, Nathdwara overlooks the banks of River Banas in Rajasthan. Barely 48 kilometers away from Udaipur, Nathdwara means ‘Gateway to Shrinathji’, when translated. A prominent pilgrimage site for the Vaishnavites, the city is home to an ancient temple of Lord Krishna. This temple has an idol of Shrinathji, the 7 year old infant incarnation of Lord Krishna. It is believed that the idol was originally worshipped at Mathura’s Jatipura. In the face of the growing adversities arising due to the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb’s crusade for Islam, the idol was transferred in 1672 to Agra (for 6 months) and then to Nathdwara. Legend has it that the shrine was built in the 17th century at the same spot as the one ordained by Shrinathji. If the popular public perception is to be believed, while the idol of Lord Krishna was being safely transported, the wheels of the bullock cart sank into the mud near Sihad. The priests who accompanied this idol thought that this spot was chosen by the Lord himself and the construction of a temple was commissioned under the patronage of Maharana Raj Singh of Mewar. The fact that the city has been associated with the Pushti Marg or the Shuddha Advaita founded by Vallabha Acharya has added to its popularity. In fact, it is due to the efforts of Vitthal Nathji, Vallabha Acharya’s son, that the practice of worshipping Shrinathji at Nathdwara was institutionalized.